Veterinarians have had to accept that their most effective role is as part of a team. They are responsible for the health of farm animals to secure food safety and public health. When it comes to conservation, veterinarians and other wildlife professionals have not worked. The gap between them is narrowing as each realizes the need to cooperate with the other. In turn, biologists, ecologists, wildlife managers and others began to appreciate the unique skills of experienced wildlife veterinarians and the importance of disease as a threatening process. There is progress to make, but it will happen as the importance of multidisciplinary teamwork is better understood by all. The breadth and depth of their possible input go far beyond this narrow view. This creates a conflict of expert liabilities.
As an animal veterinarian, you treat the animals itself. The majority of the work is to educate people living with or around wildlife on how to act if they ever encounter it and how they should treat their environment. It starts with wildlife safe garbage cans so animals aren’t attracted to our food and the refore don’t get used to us. Another important thing is to protect wildlife from diseases caused by pets and vice versa. Therefore, breeders need to be aware of communicable diseases and try to vaccinate pets against common diseases. In addition, the interaction between pets and wildlife should be kept to a minimum, so that vets give advice on how to build safe shelters for wildlife, etc.
Veterinarians do not interact much with wildlife, as it is difficult to treat a wild animal that is not used to human contact. For wild animals, it is stressful if they are near humans, even if it is for their well-being. The treatment takes place in controlled game reserves or national parks and includes vaccines translocation, sterilizations, and surgery.
Role of veterinarians:
- Veterinarians help strengthen surveillance and response to all communicable diseases that emerged as threats to public health.
- In collaboration with public health authorities, they participate in the surveillance and containment in humans and animals of foodborne with implications for human health.
- The role of animal feed in the production of healthy food is recognized around the world.
- Several events have highlighted its impacts on public health, feed and food trade and food safety.
- Animal diseases in major segments of the meat industry – beef, pork, dairy and poultry – come with authorities for recreation or public display.
- In addition, veterinarians coordinate education and provide human physicians with information on zoonoses at the interfaces of wild, domestic and human populations.
- Veterinarians take the ability to educate their clients. Contact with other professions in a public health context is an important first step.
Veterinary education can play a fundamental role in shaping the mindset of future farm animal practitioners, emphasizing the importance of protecting animal welfare and the differences between the needs of different farm animal species. Genuinely valuable conservation vets are those who have dedicated their lives to specializing in topics essential to working with endangered species and wildlife in general.